Happy National Pancake Day, my fellow Americans! Someday we’ll fulfill our goal of International Pancake Day. It’s within our grasp, folks. We can do it!
My dad reminded me of this joyous occasion via email this morning, which got me thinking, naturally, about dinner! I decided to refine my caramelized banana pancake recipe. While my last attempt was delicious, I wanted to develop a bit more flavor. Tonight’s batch of pancakes were extra fluffy and cakey, while the banana caramel sauce was aromatic with just enough sweetness. To balance the sugar in the pancakes, I also cooked up awesome apple turkey sausage patties.
This meal is definitely going in my top 5 ever. SO GOOD!
Caramelized Banana Pancakes
Yields 6 pancakes
1 1/4 C pancake mix (I use Hungry Jack complete)
1 C water
For banana caramel sauce
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 C brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1-3 tbsp. water
1 banana, peeled and sliced
- Preheat griddle or skillet to 400° (medium-high). In a small bowl, add water to the pancake mix and stir together. Set aside. I use slightly more mix than the 1:1 ratio called for, as I like my pancakes to be thick, fluffy, and cake like. To achieve this, add enough dry mix to your bowl until batter is thick, like a runny dough.
- In a small saucepan on low heat, melt butter and stir in brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Cook 1-2 minutes until brown sugar is dissolved.
- Place sliced banana in single layer in saucepan. Make sure the sauce coats the fruit. Continue to reduce sauce for 3-4 minutes, basting bananas and stirring occasionally. If the sauce is too thick, add water until desired consistency is reached.
- While sauce reduces, ladle pancake batter onto griddle, flipping them when small bubbles appear on the surafce.
- Once pancakes are done, place on plate and top with banana caramel sauce. Dig in!
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 C onion, diced
1/2 C apple, grated (I use Fuji apples)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 lb. lean ground turkey
3/4 Tbsp dried thyme (use less if using fresh herbs)
1/2 Tbsp sage
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
- Drizzle olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and apple and saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine ground turkey with thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. Add cooled onion, apple, and garlic mixture and mix together.
- Section meat mixture into 4 patties. Reheat saute pan over medium heat and add sausage patties.
- Cook 3-4 minutes each side, until golden brown and cooked through.