If you get the title of this post, I applaud you. If not, Google it. It’s from a hilarious episode of Friends and I think of this line each and every time I make jam But I digress…
Rhubarb is so pervasive around these parts. It grows wild just about any and everywhere, and your cute little old neighbor lady will almost always bring some over to you since she just had too much to use.
Last weekend, I scored two giant bunches of the pretty red fruit at the Saint Paul Farmer’s Market (aka the best farmer’s market anywhere, ever). Little known ‘barb fact? The leaves at the end of each stalk are extremely poisonous. So, you know, don’t eat them. Or call them kale and serve them to your favorite enemy, who, before keeling over, will in turn find you very chic and on trend.
Strawberry Rhubarb Freezer Jam
Makes 3 cups
3 C rhubarb, divided
3 C strawberries, divided
1 C sugar
1/4 C lemon juice (really, any citrus juice will work here)
1 package sugar-free strawberry Jello (3 oz. package)
dash of salt
- Cut rhubarb and strawberries into small pieces and place 2 cups of each in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice, and salt, and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Continue to cook the sauce for 12-15 minutes, until it thickens and the fruit softens.
- Remove from heat and fold in the remaining 1 cup of rhubarb, 1 cup of strawberries, and packet of jello.
- Funnel the jam into jars, cover, and refrigerate or freeze.